Starting a podcast can be a great way to share your thoughts and ideas with the world, and build an audience of people who are interested in what you have to say. Spotify is one of the most popular podcast platforms, with over 406 million monthly active users. This makes it a great place to reach a large audience, but it’s important to be aware of the pros and cons of starting a podcast on Spotify before you get started.
Pros and Cons of starting a Podcast on Spotify?
Pros of starting a podcast on Spotify:
- Large audience: Spotify has a huge user base, so you have the potential to reach a large audience with your podcast.
- Easy to get started: It’s free and easy to create a podcast on Spotify. All you need is a microphone and a computer.
- Wide distribution: Spotify is available in over 180 countries, so your podcast will be available to people all over the world.
- Good analytics: Spotify provides detailed analytics about your podcast listeners, so you can see who is listening to your show and what they like about it.
Cons of starting a podcast on Spotify:
- Monetization not available in most countries: Spotify monetization is currently only available in a handful of countries, so you won’t be able to make money directly from your podcast if you live in most countries. As of August 2023, Spotify monetization is only available in the following countries:
United States, Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, France, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Italy, Spain, Japan
If you live in a country that is not on this list, you will not be able to monetize your podcast on Spotify. However, you can still distribute your podcast on Spotify and reach a global audience.
- Competition is high: There are millions of podcasts on Spotify, so it can be difficult to get your show noticed.
- Limited control: Spotify has some control over how your podcast is presented, such as the artwork and description.
Should you start a podcast on Spotify?
Whether or not you should start a podcast on Spotify depends on your goals. If you’re mainly interested in sharing your thoughts and ideas with the world, and building an audience, then Spotify is a great platform. However, if you’re hoping to make money directly from your podcast, then you’ll need to consider other platforms, such as YouTube or Patreon.
YouTube is a great alternative to Spotify for podcasters who want to make money from their show. YouTube monetization is available in over 100 countries, and there are a number of ways to make money on YouTube, such as advertising, channel memberships, and Super Chat.
If you’re serious about making money from your podcast, then I recommend considering YouTube. However, even if you’re not interested in making money, YouTube can still be a great platform for your podcast. YouTube has a large and engaged audience, and it’s easy to get started.
Spotify is a great platform for podcasters who want to reach a large audience and build a community. However, it’s important to be aware that Spotify monetization is not available in most countries. If you’re hoping to make money directly from your podcast, then you’ll need to consider other platforms, such as YouTube or Patreon.